Sunday, July 22, 2007

Jackie Greene: Phil's New Friend

I first became aware of Jackie Greene while attending his set on the Sonic Stage at Bonnaroo some years back. I was instanstly enraptured with the maturity of this "kid." Jackie is still a young guy, but you'd never know that from listening to his worldly lyrics of life, love, and pain.

Jackie has already performed a few gigs as one of Phil's friends, and now he is listed as a touring member of the band. Much like he did with Ryan Adams, Phil appears to be taking another young, talented singer/songwriter under his wing. I saw Phil play live with Ryan and I would like to see what how Jackie is able to contribute what is now a group of veterans who know the Dead catalog inside and out. It remains to be seen how the Deadheads will take to Jackie (it took quite a while for them to embrace Ryan), but I hope it works out for the best.

This message was posted to Jackie Greene's website just today:
Hello all,

I guess it's not much of a secret anymore, but I thought I'd give an "official" word about it.

I have been lucky enough to be asked to join Phil Lesh & Friends this fall for an extensive american tour! We will be starting in late September and rolling right up to November. We will be playing some fantastic venues and it will be LOTS of fun.

I feel very honored to have been asked to take part in such a remarkable band. I am truly in awe of each of their talents. Amazing!

We will be playing some of my tunes on this tour as well. And of course, lots of Grateful Dead tunes! I'm having a wonderful time learning and singing these great songs. It's truly a magical time. I feel blessed. I hope you'll join us out there."
If you havent heard much of Jackie, or even if you have, check out this performance of his original tune, "Sweet Somewhere Bound".

No comments: