Monday, May 14, 2007

Richard Manuel Is...Alive

These days, not many people are paid tribute in song. Sure, Syd Barrett has "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and Marilyn Monroe (and later, Princess Di) has "Candle in the Wind," but what if told you that there is one man who has at least five songs (and I say at least, because I'm sure there are others) written in his memory. And I'll add a wrinkle -- I would bet that less than 5% of all Americans even know his name. Stumped? Well, in case you missed the title of this post, he is none other than Richard Manuel, beloved member of The Band, whose life came to a tragic halt in 1986. Richard was perhaps one of the most well-loved and well-respected musicians of his time. A gifted songwriter, keyboardist and musician, Richard was often (and justifiably) referred to as the "white" Ray Charles. Indeed, it's no coincidence that Ray was his idol. He co-wrote with Bob Dylan and was Eric Clapton's inspiration. Since his death, he's had songs written about him by The Band, Robbie Robertson, Eric Clapton, Counting Crows, Drive By Truckers and probably many more. I dare you to listen to "I Shall Be Released" from Festival Express and tell me you weren't fighting back the tears. I'm not going to write a biography on the life and death of Richard Manuel -- there aren't enough words and frankly, it's unimportant. I am just one guy who wants to ensure that Richard's memory lives on and that he is recognized for what he did and how he moved the spirit of music forever.

Eric Clapton on Richard Manuel:
I was madly in love with Richard... At the time, [1975] we had the same troubles. I felt insecure and he was clearly insecure, and yet he was so incredibly gifted....For me he [Richard] was the true light of the Band. The other guys were fantastic talents, of course, but there was something of the holy madman about Richard. He was raw. When he sang in that high falsetto the hair on my neck would stand on end. Not many people can do that.

D.S., Weightstaff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post stat.

dj