Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Starbucks: You Want WuTang With That?

So I head over to Starbucks on 42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan as much to get out of the office as to get a 'lil caffeine fix. And not surprisingly, about 20 people ahead of me in line also had the same work break/caffeine issues. So with my unbelievably short attention span (damn Internet addiction side effect), I can't really contemplate standing around with no stimulation for the five minutes in line. So I whip out my iPhone, remember Starbucks is a WiFi/Apple friendly zone, and peruse the iTunes WiFi Store which immediately appears once I set foot in the store. Looking through the new releases, I saw that the new WuTang single called 'The Heart Gently Weeps' is available which samples 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' with Dhani Harrison, George's son, supplying the "sample". I hit the buy button, popped in my iTunes password, and within 15 seconds the song was residing in my 'Purchased' playlist with the album cover art and all. Amazing!

A few years ago, I would have said that story ended with getting into my flying car and speeding off but the future is now at Starbucks. Sure, I avoided the new Wyclef disc at the counter like the plague. Don't force feed me your corporate choices of music. But this WiFi store, with all tunes available, is my cup of tea. Er, I mean, mocha caramel grande macchiato.

1 comment:

WeightStaff said...

I know I told you this already -- but it seems that Starbucks is pushing the Nirvana "Unplugged" DVD at their NYC locations...Why must Starbucks ruin everything?!?

[BARF!]