Sunday, April 24, 2011

Introducing: Farewell Milwaukee


Farewell Milwaukee are a five-piece band from Minnesota that focuses on roots/americana-inspired music who released their debut album, Autumn Rest Easy, in 2009.  I learned of the group last year through a track from that record called Way Out, which I would consider to be one my favorite songs of 2010.  I first discovered that song and this band on Pandora.  It's gotten plenty of spins on my iPhone during my commutes to and from work on the DC Metro.  The group fits very well into the same category of young bands like Dawes, Avett Brothers, and Trampled By Turtles who embrace acoustic instrumentation and vocal harmonies with a strong focus on lyrics and songwriting.  At this point, they seem to rarely play outside of their home state, but I'm expecting that to change soon.  Hopefully this new record pushes them into the national spotlight (and some dates on the east coast).

Their new album When It Sinks In will be released in three weeks, and I'm very much looking forward to hearing it.  They have posted a video of one of the new tunes on YouTube and I'm hoping you'll take a listen. Given that the clip was just recorded informally in a living room, the fact that they sound this good proves just how talented they are:

Farewell Milwaukee
Come Back Home To Me




Also, here's a clip that includes portions of my introduction to the band, their song titled Way Out:

No comments: