Tuesday, June 12, 2007

David Chase Squeals from his Safe House

David Chase, the creator of The Sopranos, hid out in France with his wife in order to avoid the media attention (and known public backlash, I think) of the end to his beloved series. In true Sopranos honor, with a nod to NJ which is also where Chase grew up, he granted one interview to the Newark Star Ledger.

Some excerpts:

"I have no interest in explaining, defending, reinterpreting, or adding to what is there," he says of the final scene.

"No one was trying to be audacious, honest to God," he added. "We did what we thought we had to do. No one was trying to blow people's minds or thinking, 'Wow, this'll (tick) them off.'

"People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them, and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them."

Some fans have assumed the ambiguous ending was Chase setting up the oft-rumored "Sopranos" movie.

"I don't think about (a movie) much," he said. "I never say never. An idea could pop into my head where I would go, 'Wow, that would make a great movie,' but I doubt it.

"I'm not being coy," he added. "If something appeared that really made a good 'Sopranos' movie and you could invest in it and everybody else wanted to do it, I would do it. But I think we've kind of said it and done it."

Link to the interview (NJ - Star Ledger)

No comments: