Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cloverfield (a.k.a. Slusho, Colossus, The Parasite, etc.)

I don't go to the movies much these days. I don't like waiting in lines to get into the theater (yes, in Manhattan we have lines), I don't like hearing Chingy ringtones 90 minutes deep into The Departed, I detest the "peanut gallery" who feel the need to hoot and holler during every "slash" or "sex" scene, and I especially don't like paying five bucks for a bag of stale Sour Patch Kids. However, I WILL, without a doubt, see Cloverfield when it opens on 1/18/08...or shortly thereafter (I already broke my New Year's resolution to stop procrastinating).

Do you know anything about this movie? I didn't, until I recently saw the trailer during one of my DVR shows. Of course, I immediately Wikipedia'ed the film only to learn that no one really knows much about it -- thanks to secretive casting/auditions and an enigmatic promotional campaign (including online puzzles, viral tie-ins, alternate title names, and all sorts of plot speculation by the media) -- all very impressive in the age of YouTube, blogs, and pirating.

From what I've read, the plot can be summed up as Blair Witch meets Godzilla. That's all I know, and that's all I want to know. On the upside, the film takes place in Manhattan, which because I live here, always makes the plot more interesting (I wonder if my office building is part of the monster's destructive path?). On the other hand, the PG-13 rating is somewhat of an omen, leaving me to wonder if the target audience consists of junior high school A/V geeks...

Nonetheless, the movie was produced by J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost) and stars a cast of young Hollywooders -- which is a very good thing (think, Matthew Broderick in Godzilla or Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds -- get the point?). As an aficionado of classic horror/monster flicks, I'm clearly obligated to see this one, however I do sense a decent probability of disappointment. Whatever the outcome may be, it's too late -- I'm already on the bandwagon...

Official trailer from YouTube

No comments: