Friday, January 18, 2008

The Weight - Birthday Countdown: 11 Days

Today's cover comes from the pairing of Glen Hansard, front man of Irish band The Frames, and Marketa Irglova, a Czech musician/songwriter, currently residing in Dublin. The couple puts their spin on Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," with this take appearing on the soundtrack to the 2007 Dylan-inspired film "I'm Not There." If I didn't know any better, I would think that this was actually performed by The Felice Brothers with female vocal accompaniment. You'll just have to listen for yourself to hear what I mean by that. I was originally going to post Glen and Marketa's duet of Van Morrison's Into The Mystic, but upon listening to this song I couldn't keep the other one on the list.

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Bob Dylan)


Related:

Watch or Listen to this duo performing together on KCRW's 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' on 7/31/07.


I just have to add that one of the best songs I've heard in the last few years, which I first heard on the Austin City Limits festival DVD that I picked up at Tower Records before the store disappeared into the annals of rock, was The Frames' 'Revelate'. I can only describe the song as EPIC. It's as if The Hold Steady wrote a song for U2 and Radiohead performed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that wcrw site has him covering into the mystic. also worth taking a listen.

ak