Monday, August 11, 2008

Jethro Tull Doesn't Play The Hits

In a review of Jon Fogerty's concert to close out the 10-day Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA, Express-Times writer Joseph P. Owens complains that Ian Anderson and 1989 Grammy Award winners for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance, Jethro Tull, chose not to play Aqualung during their earlier show at the festival. I have mixed feeling about a classic rock artist choosing not to play their biggest hit at a show. Part of me respects that Ian left the song out. After all, isn't it more special if it doesn't come out every night. But, don't get me wrong, if I was in that audience, I'd be pissed.

Have you ever read the lyrics to Aqualung? Well, I just did and I wish that I hadn't. The verse begins:

Sitting on a park bench -
Eyeing little girls with bad intent.
Snot running down his nose -
greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes.
Drying in the cold sun -
watching as the frilly panties run.
Feeling like a dead duck -
spitting out pieces of his broken luck.

How...artistic??!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You JUST figured out those lyrics? Maybe he is tired of singing that sicko stuff?

WeightStaff said...

Jethro Tull is certainly a "love it" or "hate it" kind of band. I won't dispute that. But I happen to enjoy the rare combination of prog rock/medieval melodies of Ian Anderson and his band of troubadours. As for the lyrics to Aqualung, sounds like something the great James Joyce might have penned...and that is a compliment...

DS,
Weightstaff