Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tragedy Strikes the Dave Matthews Band

I'm still overcome with shock and sadness at reading the news tonight that Leroi Moore, saxophonist for the Dave Matthews Band, has passed away as a result of the injuries he suffered while riding an ATV on his property near Charlotteville, VA in June. DMB was one of my favorite bands throughout high school and the first band that I made repeated efforts to see in concert. No reports that I'd read to date had described his injuries as life threatening and that is why this news is so surprising. I never considered one time that I would be reading this news.

He always appeared to be taking his performances very seriously, hardly cracking a smile on stage, but in every interview I have seen with him he always had a wide grin on this face. The band continued on with part-time Flecktone saxophonist Jeff Coffin while Leroi was recovering. It remains to be seen what decisions the band will make about continuing on and if they do, who might replace the incredibly talented Leroi.

The band posted the following statement this evening:
We are deeply saddened that LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of Dave Matthews Band, died unexpectedly Tuesday afternoon, August 19, 2008, at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles from sudden complications stemming from his June ATV accident on his farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. LeRoi had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin an intensive physical rehabilitation program.

Dave Matthews Band has gone on with their scheduled appearance at the Staples Center in Los Angeles tonight, with Jeff Coffin playing sax on show opener Bartender. The song begins:

If I go / Before I'm old / Oh, brother of mine / Please don't forget me if I go

Bartender, please / Fill my glass for me / With the wine you gave Jesus / That set him free after three days in the ground.

Oh, and if I die / Before my time / Oh, sweet sister of mine / Please don't regret me if I die

Bartender, please / Fill my glass for me / With the wine you gave Jesus / That set him free after three days in the ground


RIP Roi.