Friday, December 14, 2007

Blitzen Trapper: "The Best Grateful Dead Knockoff in Forever"

Rolling Stone has released their Top 100 Songs of 2007. Without wanting to ruin the surprise of the Top 10, I navigated directly to the end of the list on Page 25. Why wouldn't they start us from #100 anyway? So I only made it as far as #98, before reading....

98 "Wild Mountain Nation"Blitzen Trapper:
A shambling, hypermelodic jam from Portland, Oregon, indie boys down with Native American culture — and the best Grateful Dead knockoff in forever.

Of course I was immediately intrigued. I can't say I agree wholeheartedly with their classification after listening to the song, but I certainly do think its a great song in the vein of The Dead. Take a listen and let us know what you think.

UPDATE: Blitzen Trapper are playing the Langerado festival at Big Cypress next March.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I trust anything Rolling Stone has to say...

Nonetheless, I suppose I hear a little Aoxomoxoa in there...

DS, Weightstaff

Anonymous said...

you know who else is playing langerado....the brothers felice....


ak

Jeffrey Greenblatt said...

I highly recommend picking up the album.

I was listening to NPR's All Songs Considered's Year End show and someone described them at the Grateful Dead meets Pavement. Which I can sort of see - it's sort of the Pacific Northwests version of psychedelic music.