Sunday, December 9, 2007

Crosby, Gilmour, and Nash

I have a problem. I can't control these urges. And I'm ashamed. It happens every time I go into a Virgin Megastore, or a Best Buy, or a Circuit City. I have to buy at least one concert DVD. Sometimes even more. Its so humiliating. Some of these purchases are even still in their shrink wrap because the mood has passed.

My latest problem purchase was 'Remember That Night', a DVD documenting David Gilmour's Spring 2006 tour stop at London's Royal Albert Hall supporting his solo album entitled 'On An Island'. I had the privilege of attending one of his Radio City Music Hall shows on the same tour. With Richard Wright on keyboard I was able to witness half of Pink Floyd play such numbers as Echoes, Comfortably Numb, Breathe, and Wish You Were Here. All of these songs and more are featured on the DVD. Gilmour also plays his entire solo album. To be honest, this was pretty disappointing when you know he will only be performing for upwards of two hours, and there are so many more songs from The Floyd to hear. But the new album is what got him on the road, so if that is what it takes to see David Gilmore live, so be it.

The highlight of the night for me was hearing Shine on You Crazy Diamond played by the master himself. And who provides "backing" vocals at the Radio City show, as well as on the DVD? Well its David Crosby and Graham Nash belting out "SHIINE...ON....YOU CRA--AZY DIII-AMOND" Just brilliant. It's like David Gilmour couldn't/didn't get Roger Waters or Nick Mason so he said, well hell, what group can I steal half of their members from to complete this puzzle. I know, I'll pillage Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. That makes sense, right? And it did.

Enjoy the odd pairing below, and shine on...

No comments: