Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Trey Presale Tix Harder to Get Than Destiny Unbound

Phish frontman Trey Anastasio's ticket presale this morning for his upcoming 8/7 Trey Band show at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn proved to be the impossible dream. With the entire venue holding approximately 500 people, my best guess was that they would sell upwards of 200 tickets this morning. I guess when your band can generally sell 20,000+ tickets all over the country, 200 seats is miniscule in comparison. But I've had nothing but luck getting tough seats lately: My Morning Jacket at Radio City, 20 rows back for Billy Joel at Shea, Wilco at McCarren Pool...Yes, these shows were much bigger in scale, but my confidence was at an all time high regardless. I guess I am losing my touch because within 3 seconds of attempts I was brought to a page to select how many tickets I wanted. Success? Maybe so/maybe not! I mean, if you see this screen on Ticketmaster's site, you've pretty much reached nirvana: an opportunity to buy seats. But over at Trey ticketing, this was a serious tease...kind of like Phish playing a riff from your favorite song and then returning right back to the jam.

But, I'm a resilient person. I take this as a challenge. And when the estimated 300 remaining seats go on sale to the general public on Saturday, I'll be waiting. Did anyone out there actually get tickets?

Phish Lesson: For the uninitiated, Destiny Unbound was the ultimate Phish concert-going prize as it was the elusive holy grail of Phish tunes. Having been played sporadically between 1990 and 1991 and then retired, the song became the ultimate unattainable tune for the Phish phaithful. Although crowd chants for the song would randomly appear, practically begging the band for its return. It finally was revisited on 2/28/03, approximately 12 years later, sandwiched between Birds of a Feather and Horn and those in attendance would never stop talking about that night again. [Thanks to Zzyzyx for the stats!]

No comments: