Friday, February 16, 2007

Still Crazy

I'm a sucker for sampling. I've always enjoyed the creativity behind taking a beat or a riff from another song and making it your own in a new context. Many people claim to have a problem with this form of stealing, and I bet those same people have found themselves gettin' jiggy to Will Smith, Biggie, or Diddy, all of whom made careers on sampling others' music.

A number of months ago, via Stereogum's website, I found this mp3 capturing the original song that became last year's mega-smash "Crazy" by Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse's Gnarls Barkley. I had no idea at the time that it wasn't a totally original creation. But instead of being upset about learning that it wasn't, this discovery made me appreciate the song's genius even more. Take a listen to this, and I am sure you'll feel the same way.

Nel Cimitero di Tuscon -- Gian Piero and Gianfranco Reverberi (1968)

No comments: