Monday, February 19, 2007

The Weight's NBA All-Star Roundup


No, I was NOT in Vegas for this year's NBA All-Star game. But thanks to modern technology (DVR and laptop solitaire), I was as close to The Palms as I was gonna get.

So for those who tuned out in the 4th quarter like I did, it came as no surprise when I checked the headlines this morning and saw that the West bludgeoned the East in a 153-132 convincing blowout. The West was unstoppable last night. Sorry kiddies, Mike D'Antoni was not going to let the East make it interesting this year.

There are too two simple things that separate the West from the East, and I'm not talkin' about Tupac & Biggie:
1) Seven-footers who can shoot the 3-ball; and
2) Kobe Bryant. MVP or not, Kobe IS the best player in the game, hands down.

Frankly, I don't think the East has a chance this year when the NBA Finals come around (with all due respect to my beloved Wizards).

To that end, here are a few things that caught my attention from this weekend's festivities:

-The Rookie-Sophomore challenge: David Lee and Chris Paul are THAT GOOD!

-The highly anticipated Chuck Barkley vs. Dick Bavetta race. Even though Barkley huffed and puffed his way into first place, 67 year-old veteran referee Bavetta gashed his knee wide open after diving for the finish line -- I kept thinking he was going to faint from blood loss, talkabout heart!

-Dwight Howard's 12'6 "sticker" dunk (see below);

-Slam dunk champion Gerald Green, donning former dunk champion and Celtics alum Dee Brown's #7, leaping over contest opponent Nate Robinson for the win;

-Wayne Newton's face during the pre-game show -- was Newton replaced by a lip-syncing wax replica from Madame Tussaud's??

-Kobe Bryant, doing his best MJ impression, leading the Western Conference to one of the most lopsided wins in NBA all-star history.

-Wondering how much money Charles Barkley lost at the blackjack table...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still smiling from that 'Sticker dunk'. That made my week. He was robbed!!!