Friday, April 20, 2007

Grand Central and the Nocturnals

Time - 5:00 pm, 4/20/07
Band - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Venue - Right Outside My Office!!

I just got back to my desk at work after I wandered outside, oh about 500 feet from where I sit, to check out one of my favorite groups, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Grace and the dudes were playing right next to Grand Central Station on Vanderbilt Avenue in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. This is the second year in a row that I can see tunes right out my window in late April as part of the Green Apple Music Festival. Last year I checked out Mickey Hart and Billy Kreutzmann banging out a drum circle during 'Not Fade Away' with about 300 people and um, Walter Kronkite.

This year it was my chance to see Grace Potter who was part of a pretty full schedule with more bands at the same spot tomorrow. I first saw Grace at last year's Jammy's and saw her with the rest of her group at All Good last year in West Virginia and was very pleasantly surprised. Did I mention that Grace sings like Janis Joplin, the group can funk it up like 'Papa was Rolling Stone' era Temptations or bring out the rock like Neil and Crazy Horse, she plays a mean Hammond organ, and she's hot!! I'll be seeing her again soon at the Mercury Lounge on May 22nd. And you should too.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Stop the Bus

Live at Red Rocks

No comments: