Sunday, April 8, 2007

Guitarist Not Part of Pumpkins Reunion

According to NME, via Rolling Stone, former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha will not be a part of the reunited band that currently has a number of festivals booked for the summer. Their first date on American soil is currently slated as the V Festival to be held in Baltimore, MD. (They have a few European and Canadian dates prior to the Stateside gig). So it's looking more and more like the only original Pumpkins in this "reunion" are leadman Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain. I'm having a hard time considering this a reunion at all, but I guess Billy has the right to call this band whatever he wants. Hell, if Axl can call his band Guns n' Roses with only original keyboardist Dizzy Reed in tow, then Mr. Corgan can do the same. I was a big fan of the Smashing Pumpkins, I even saw them live once, and I would be thrilled to hear that they, whoever they may be, are able to put on a stellar show.


James Iha has revealed that he has no intention of being a part of the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins reunion.

The band's former guitarist is busy working on a solo album and his indie record label, and is not planning on joining his former band mates on their upcoming tour dates scheduled for this spring and summer.

"No, I'm not part of the current Smashing Pumpkins album or tour, I haven't spoken to Billy (Corgan) in years," Iha told Rolling Stone.

"I'm writing for a solo record, which I'm going to record this year, and working on my indie label Scratchie Records," he said.

It appears that the only original members on board for The Smashing Pumpkins reunion so far are Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain.

Source: NME

No comments: