Sunday, March 4, 2007

Big in Australia: Bernard Fanning

I first heard this song a couple months ago on my portable XM satellite radio player. I immediately liked it, in that way that you want the person standing next to you hear it as soon as you finish listening to it for the third time. I used the handy 'Record Song' feature so that I could go back to it another time. Well, it had been a while since I'd gone through my saved songs, but over this weekend on a roadtrip to beautiful Atlantic City, I decided it was time to relisten to the ones I had stored for later. When this song came on, I was reminded of why I had saved it in the first place. It's incredibly catchy and I still can't listen to it just once. Sure, its pop, but so are some of the best songs [See Oasis and Tom Petty].

The song is "Wish You Well" by Bernard Fanning. Fanning is the lead singer of Australian rock act Powderfinger, but he released this song as a solo effort. And yes, his band is named after the Neil Young song, so they earn some points on that. In 2003 they won an Australian Recording Industry Assocation award for Best Band of the year.

Band Trivia: In 1993 Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" single was kicked off the No.1 spot on the Australian Alternative Music Charts by Powderfinger's Tranfusion EP.

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Bernard Fanning
Wish You Well
Tea and Sympathy
2005

No comments: