Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mike Gordon Crosses The Bridge


Baltimore's The Bridge opened yet another show for Mike Gordon and his band tonight at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA. The Bridge played a solid hour-long set that included an improv jam with Mike taking over for Bridge bassist Dave Markowitz. The same jam later included an appearance from guitarist Scott Murawski on his Languedoc guitar. Mike then left the stage and Murawski stayed on for a searing performance of Whipping Post that saw Bridge guitarist Cris Jacobs calling Scott out front for an Allmans-worthy duel lead guitar jam. Cris more than held his own against the veteran Max Creek band member. The Bridge's set also included a duet between Kenny Liner's beatboxing and Cris' seated lap steel playing on Son House's Death Letter Blues.

The full Bridge set:

Honey Bee
Station Blues
Old White Lightning 95
Bad Locomotive
Death Letter Blues (Cris and Kenny)
Good Rhythm ->
Jam w/Mike Gordon, Scott Murawski, and Craig Myers
Whipping Post w/Scott Murawski and Craig Myers
Dirtball Blues

In the crowd for tonight's performance were jam scene celebrities Tim Walther (mid-Atlantic concert promoter and founder of the All Good Music festival) and John Kadlecik (Dark Star Orchestra's lead guitarist and 'Jerry Garcia').

I'm not too familiar with Mike's band's material but they played an enjoyable set (which I left a little bit early) that included a take on Phish's Makisupa policeman. I made some additional notes that the set included what my ear heard as a Destiny Unbound-like jam and an Another One Bites the Dust-like jam. Mike appeared to be having a great time with the set including some quick stories and general banter.

The Bridge remain on Mike tour for one last show tomorrow night at NYC's Highline Ballroom.

Related: Listen to the Bridge's opening set from 8/7/08 in Charlotte, NC with a bonus track included from the encore of Mike's set from that night where the entire Bridge joined Mike and his band for a cover of Little Feat's 'Skin It Back'.

2 comments:

jz1 said...

Too bad you left before the Sex Machine > Sailin' Shoes encore with the entire Bridge. Also too bad I didn't see you or I would have said hello.

WeightStaff said...

I'd read about the bands playing encores together and knew I was taking that risk when I left. For the band, I'm glad it happened. For me, I wish that I'd seen it. I would have said hello as well if I knew you were there.