Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wilco: McCarren Park Pool, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, I was one of the lucky few to attend last night's much anticipated Wilco show at McCarren Park Pool. However, both humbly and concededly, I'm not the right person to review the show. It was my first time seeing the mythical Chicago alt-country rockers and the hype surrounding the band was astonishing. As a modern parallel, I can only liken the experience to not yet having seen The Dark Knight (which I still haven't seen) after all of your friends have declared it, albeit prematurely, "Best Movie EVER" (or at least, best of the Batman saga). I'm the first to admit, I'm a little late to the Wilco game. So over the past year, I've done my best to try and familiarize myself with the iconic band and their signature sound.

To that end, I thought the venue was great. For those who don't know, McCarren Park Pool was a public swimming pool in the Williamsburg community of Brooklyn from around 1936 until 1986. The pool (or what's left of it) is enormous; surprisingly, it makes for a very cool spot to see an outdoor concert.

We hung mainly towards stage right for most of the show. While we were somewhat removed from the main crowd, we did have a decent view of the stage which was key. I, for one, had one too many glasses [plastic cups] of wine (not counting the pints we had before we arrived), which on an empty stomach, made the experience all the more "fun?" All in all, it was a beautiful night to be in Brooklyn, watching a band that is undoubtedly on the verge of legendary. Below, is a short review from Brooklyn Vegan which does more justice than I could do (setlist and photos included).

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/08/wilco_mccarren.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Post. they played a very strong set-list. including two great mermaid ave.* tracks. (blood of the lamb and california stars) The weather held up, and the lines were very reasonable. good time had by all.

*See prior wilco post.