Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Elton

In honor of Sir Elton John's (aka Reginald Dwight's) 60th birthday and his record setting 60th performance at New York City's Madison Square Garden on Sunday night, please enjoy this video footage of the birthday boy performing "November Rain" alongside Guns n' Roses at the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards. Epic performance from GnR.

November Rain trivia:
Axl Rose was working on this as early as 1983. Former L.A. Guns guitarist Tracii Guns said: When we were doing that EP for L.A. Guns, like in 1983, he was playing November Rain on piano. Way back then. It was the only thing Axl knew how to play, but it was his. He'd go: 'Someday this song is gonna be really cool.' And I'd go: 'It's cool now. But it's not done, you know.' And like anytime we'd be at a hotel or anywhere there'd be a piano, he'd just kinda play that music. And I'd go: 'When are you gonna finish that already, you know?' And he'd go: 'I don't know what to do with it.' [Source: songfacts.com]

2 comments:

Destro said...

As I sit here at work at 10:30am on a Wednesday morning, I clicked and watched that video that I've seen a hundred times before; a song that I've heard THOUSANDS of times before. Yet that guitar solo still gives me goosebumps.

WeightStaff said...

Agreed. This song was responsible for the Axl Rose "identity crisis" I suffered in 8th grade. I know that kilt is lying around the house somewhere...

D.S., Weightstaff