Sunday, March 25, 2007

Live from the Archives: Papa Mali

Treasure trove of live streamable/downloadable music, archive.org, has been one of my favorite resources for years. Searching unsuccessfully for Thom Yorke's cover of Neil Young's "After the Goldrush", I happened upon this live set from Malcolm "Papa Mali" Welbourne. I'd only heard his name before, but knew nothing about the guy. I immediately found the artists and songs he chose to cover during this show very intriguing. This set from 8/5/04 includes Young's "After the Goldrush", Dr. John's "I Walk On Guilded Splinters", Dylan's "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues", Bill Wither's "Ain't No Sunshine", and Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks." Just based on reading that list, I'm already a fan. Fortunately, the performances sound great too. Papi Mali begins a spring tour with Galactic on 3/26/07 in Boston.

Check these tracks out and let us know what you think.

Stream the whole show here

No comments: